Some people say they prefer New Zealand over Australia, but after visiting 3 of the major wine regions, I don’t prefer one over the other. They are both wonderful wine destinations with great vistas and great wines. It’s just that Australia is on a different scale of magnitude.
We visited many of the top wineries of Hunter Valley, Adelaide and its surrounding wine and Yarra Valley and I have culled what I believe are the top 5 we visited. Not all were picked because of their impressive facilities so read on for my picks and why.
The Top 5 Wineries to Visit When In Australia:
- Tyrrells Hunter Valley- one of the grand Aussie wineries with an aura of the 1800s
- d’Arenberg McLaren Vale- another grand style Aussie winery with a superb restaurant
- Torbreck Barossa- brand new cellardoor overlooking the vineyards
- The Lane Adelaide Hills- nestled amongst the vineyards also with a great restaurant
- Penfold’s McGill Estate Adelaide Hills- the one winery visit not be missed
And here are 5 others which I recommend visiting while you’re in those areas:
- Peppertree Hunter Valley- small boutique winery atmosphere
- Oakridge Yarra Valley- spectacular views and spectacular wines
- Yarra Yering Yarra Valley- great vineyard view and intimate tasting room
- McGuigan Wines Hunter Valley- a behemoth of a winery
- Rockford Barossa- like walking back in time