I lost track of how many wines we’ve tasted during our Rioja wine tour. There were a lot of great ones but certain wines stood out as favorites and I’m happy to share them with you.
Should you select a modern interpretation of Rioja with new small oak barrels and fruit forward tastes or old-school with an emphasis on the grapes and the subtle influence of large old oak vats? It’s not for me to decide but I offer you here the top 5 wine finds culled from the dozens of wines tasted over 6 days in Rioja:
- San Vicente 2007 with 100% tempranillo
- La Rioja Alta Viña Ardanza 2007, a blend of 80% tempranillo & 20% garnacha
- Lopez de Heredia La Tondonia 1981
- Muga Prado Enea 2006, a blend of 80% tempranillo & 20% garnacha
- Remelluri Reserva 2008 100% tempranillo
Here are all of the articles covering our Rioja wine tour in order:
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 1: Live from Spain! It’s Saturday Night!
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 2: Vivanco – 3 Visits in One
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 3: Haro Here We Come
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 3 – Part 2: Tapas Crawling in Logoño
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 4: 3 Visits + Great Lunch
- Rioja Wine Tour – Day 5: What a Grand Finale!
- Rioja Wine Tour – Summary – Our Tour in a Nutshell