We just finished our first ever tour to the Basque region and although it’s not a ripe area for wine lovers, there is a wealth of interesting and cultural things to do in addition to wine; here are the top 5:
- Most picturesque winery visit: hands down, it’s Txomin Extaniz. Just the drive to the winery will cause your heart to palpitate
- Best pintxos bar in San Sebastian: the group consensus was Gandarias at 31 Calle de 31 agosto
- Best winery visit: again hands down, it’s Nekeas, near Pamplona. Technically it’s in Navarra but our visit there beat any visit even in Rioja.
- Best restaurant: Elkano in Geteria, called by some the best fish restaurant in Spain
- Most impressive winery Bodega Otazu with an over-the-top barrel room rivaling Chateau Margaux
- And our favorite wine: this was a tough one, but the most votes seem to be Nekeas (Vega Sindoa in US) Chaparral 2013 made from old vine grenache, a spectacular spicy wine priced at 7,4 euros at the winery – a ganga!
You can read all about our Basque food and wine tour in the articles below:
- Basque Tour Diary: Let the Fun Begin
- Basque Tour Diary Days 2 & 3: Days of Cider and Wine
- Basque Tour Diary Day 4: Navarra
- Basque Tour Diary Day 5: Nekeas is Great
- Basque Tour Summary: Our Top 5 Best Basque Visits