What are the Best Wineries to visit in Tuscany? Here’s our Top 5
We spent 5 glorious days in Tuscany focusing on the areas of Chianti Classico, Montepuciano and Montalcino so my selections are predicated on our visits from the 2018 tour. You could spend weeks in Tuscany and not see all of the top wineries. But it’s always good to have some reference points; for instance I have not included wineries that I would avoid in the future. 😉
Besides my winery selections, I can’t say enough positive things about our hotel, Borgo Scopeto. It’s a glorious place to stay: an entire village converted into a luxurious hotel. We normally stay in Siena and Borgo Scopeto is about 15 minutes from downtown Siena, but you’ll need a car. Since our group travelled by bus, we had dinner every night at the hotel which was not too shabby. Chef Angelo pampered us as did the entire staff. It will stretch your budget but I would stay there again in a flash.
So here they are: The Best Top 5 Wineries to visit in Tuscany (in no particular order)
- Tenute del Cerro in Montepulciano- a great visit and a wonderful restaurant & hotel
- Tenuta Miccine: Paula Cook is proud of her small winery and you’ll be impressed by her story
- Rocca di Castagnoli in Gaiole, hard to find but worth it! have lunch at Il Celliere
- Lamole di Lamole in a remote area of Greve- historic building, superb wines, great views
- Altesino in Montalcino- historic buildings and the owner of Borgo Scopeto lives here
So now you may be wondering “Ok thanks, but what are the best wines from Tuscany I should try from your recent tour there?” Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered, you can check out our Top 10 Wines from Tuscany with some of the best of wines to try from our extensive tastings there.