Wine Lovers’ Annual Best of the Best – Top 10 Wines from our Travels in 2018
It’s always fun to reflect on one’s best wine experiences for the year. In that light, we’ve complied our annual Top 10 Wines list selected from the best all of our tastings, travels and Best of Wine lists in the previous year for you to seek out and try in the coming year. Its a tough job 🙂 after having tasted hundreds of wines from all of all our tours to Italy, France, and Greece – it wasn’t exactly easy picking only 10 for our Best of 2018 Wine list for the year…but it was certainly fun to reminise.
Top 10 Wines of 2018
We’ll start with our top 2 favorites:
- Gerovassiliou’s Malagousia 2017: This winery single-handedly saved this Greek grape variety from extinction
- Tenute del Cerro Vino Nobile 2014: a 3 Glass winner for about 20 bucks!
Then in no particular order here are our other 8 top wines tasted this year:
- Domaine de la Pépière Chateau Thébaud 2017, bone dry unctuous Muscadet
- Domaine du Closel Savennières Clos du Papillon 2016 – from the female winemaker called Madame Chenin Blanc
- Gratien and Meyer Crémant de Loire NV – creamy, smooth sparkler
- Tre Pini Primitivo Reserve 2015 – I think this baby weighed in at 17% alcohol!
- Ceraudo Grisara Pecorello 2017 – from one of the few winemakers to put Calabria on the map
- Ippolito 1845 Ripe del Falco Gaglioppo 2007 – Cirò’s signature grape needs more recognition
- Biblia Chora White 2017 – a delicious blend of Assyrtiko and Sauvignon Blanc
There’s no fancy science or point system. We often gather feedback from our wine tour alumni or conduct blind tastings during a tour and merge these with our own findings. These are either ones that really stood out or were favorites that we tasted in 2018.
A Year In Review – All of Our 2018 Wine Tour “Best of” Lists:
We visited a lot of great wineries and tasted a ton of wines in 2018. Picking a Top 10 for 2018-2019 was hard and simply does not do the regions and wineries we visited justice so we’re also providing links to all of our “Best of” Wine and Wineries Lists from our 2018 Tours. Each of the areas below have their own “Best of” Lists with great wines to try and wineries worthy of a visit.
Italy – Puglia & Calabria:
Italy – Tuscany: